***DAILY DO’S – TUESDAY 6PM EDITION*** Liz Bander Hill
Y'all, the email from SURJ (see #3) says it all: this is the moment. Take a look at where you can take action, particularly if you haven't yet or it's been busy, and make something happen!
1. Town Hall Currently, both Senators Murray and Cantwell’s offices do not have town halls scheduled in Washington State where they can meet with and hear the concerns of their constituents. Indivisible Groups in Washington State are working together to provide the platform for our Senators to engage in meaningful dialogue with the people of their state, all they have to do is show up. https://www.facebook.com/events/1011407905627770/
2. We've talked about the importance of delaying the levy cliff a few times. The last chance to get this out of committee is nearly upon us - 2/24 (without a special legislative session called by the governor).
If you have any question left about the impact this will have on your community, check out this FANTASTIC map showing the impact of the levy cliff on individual school districts. Zoom in and click on your school district to see how much money will be lost. Chances are, it's in the millions of dollars for your school district alone.
A bill to delay this catastrophe (SHB 1059, http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1059&Year=2017) is stuck in the WA Senate Ways & Means Committee. Call the Chair, John Braun at (360) 786-7638 and tell him how unhappy you are that this is still in committee.
3. From a SURJ (Standing Up for Racial Justice) email: As expected, Trump hasn't even been in office for a month and has already started unleashing ICE on communities across the country to carry out mass deportations.
From Florida to Virginia to Oklahoma to California, ICE agents are showing up at people's homes, workplaces -- even stopping buses to demand that folks show their papers on the spot. And while the fear running through immigrant communities right now is deep, the resistance that immigrant communities are building is awe-inspiring.
This is the moment to show up, and there are two important ways that you can do that right now:
1. United We Dream is calling on folks -- especially those who are U.S. citizens -- to sign up for deportation defense. This means pledging to intervene when and if there is an ICE raid in your community by following the leadership of local immigrant rights activists -- including potentially trying to prevent a deportation from happening. You can sign up here: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/immigrants-are-heretostay….
2. Mijente is coordinating a massive national campaign to fight for "sanctuary city" status in local towns and cities, defining "sanctuary" in the broadest possible terms to ensure safety for all those being targeted by the Trump administration -- undocumented folks, refugees, Black folks and other people of color, queer and trans folks, disabled folks, and more. The reason that people are being deported by ICE right now is because of years of over-policing -- and so it's vital to fight back against over-policing in this moment. There are currently 203 active campaigns, and you can either join an existing local campaign or start one yourself here: https://action.mijente.net/…/tell-your-mayor-to-d…/near/new….
If you marched in a Women's March last month, this is the moment to make your commitment to resist Trump real.
If you protested at an airport over the refugee ban, this is the moment to make your commitment to resist Trump real.
If you joined our email list because you weren't sure what to do but knew that you needed to do something, this is the moment to get in motion and to resist Trump and his agenda in a very real way.
Katie Anthony is a writer, one of the administrators of Pantsuit Washington, and heads the Daily Do's team.
Liz Bander - writer
Angela Teater- Writer