*** YOUR DAILY DO'S - 5/22 EDITION *** Katie Anthony
Good morning Daily Doers of IndiWA!
I know the Daily Do's have been sporadic and unpredictable lately - we've gone from 2 a day, every day, to 3 or 4 a week. There are two main reasons for this: First, our team has been going through some life changes and we've all needed some time - for work, for family, for getting more deeply involved in more specific movements related to Indivisible.
Second, the pace of 6 Daily Do's a day is unsustainable for us and demoralizing for you - we've heard you say that you feel bad if you can't make all the Do's happen, and when we're busting our butts to build something that makes you feel bad, or suggests that you focus on what you AREN'T doing, we need to take a step back and reevaluate. That's a recipe for activist burnout.
Let's think of burnout as a layover rather than a destination - we've all burned out at some point, but then we have a choice to either hang out at the McDonald's in concourse C eating cold french fries, or pick up our shit and get back on the damn plane.
These Daily Do's are for all the Doers who are finishing their fries. It's time to get back out there, my friend. Here are 3 ways to pick yourself up and get going.
1. Watch this funny 5-minute interview with Civil Rights leaders about the real nature of activist work:
2. Text, email, or call 3 friends who have been discouraged, scared, or burned out by this administration. Reach out and make a connection - our power lives in our community. Your goals from this conversation?
- Say hi!
- Say how you've been feeling about current events.
- Find out how they've been feeling about current events.
- Make a plan to get together, as friends, just to be together.
- Laugh, smile, breathe.
3. Check THIS out: it's a free summer-long resistance training from MoveOn.org. You're looking at a one-hour webinar/Facebook Live event per week (SO DOABLE) plus some community connecting and homework. Can YOU commit to this?
Don't worry, we're going to come this week with some "call your Senators" and all that jazz, but today let's get your fire lit and crackling again.
Comment on this post with one thing you did in the sunshine this weekend.
#DailyDo #IndiWA #StillHere
Katie Anthony is a writer, one of the administrators of Pantsuit Washington, and heads the Daily Do's team.
Liz Bander - writer
Angela Teater- Writer